Many people assume that an article is an ordinary work. However, it is not. The word “essay” is borrowed from French and literally, it can be translated by words: experience, trial, attempt, and sketch.
The essay is a prosaic composition of a small volume and free composition, in which the author expresses subjective impressions and his/her thoughts on a specific subject. The essay does not have a clear structure, which requires a specific composition from the author, as well as a thematic framework. The essay can touch upon large-scale moral and ethical problems, talk about politics and social order, or touch less serious subjects such as food, travel or entertainment.
This genre has become popular in recent years. Today quite often this genre is offered as a home assignment. It is one of the main tasks for admission to an educational institution or employment. The purpose of the essay is to develop skills such as independent creative thinking and writing out your thoughts.
Writing of an essay is extremely useful because it allows the author to learn clearly and correctly formulate thoughts, structure information, use the basic concepts, illustrate experience and examples, and argue their conclusions. For job seekers, for example, one of the main topics of the essay is “Me and my career.” This topic allows easily estimate the features of your thinking, creativity, enthusiasm, and potential. The best way to achieve a good result is to write directly and frankly while remaining honest with yourself.
Thus, the essay is distinguished by a unique style of narrative; its purpose is to induce the reader to reflect. The author does not insist on his point of view, but as if invites the reader to think and discuss it.
Characteristic features of the essay
To correctly write an article, you must take into account the specific features that distinguish it from other genres.
The main features of the essay:
- The presence of a particular topic, which contains a specific problematics.
- The subjective position. The composition is characterized by the presence of the author’s view of the existing problem, especially his worldview, speech, and thinking.
- Spoken style of writing. In an essay, it is essential to follow a laid-back and easy manner, in order to establish contact with the reader. But to preserve the quality of the text, it should not be reloaded with slang, archaisms, clericalism, and clichés. The correct emotional color of the text of the adventure is short, understandable and straightforward sentences.
- A detailed analysis of the problem. The author’s point of view needs to be argued on the basis of factual material.
- Small volume. The restriction on the number of pages does not exist, but the essay differs in a short amount.
- Free composition. The essay has a character of exposition that does not have any formal framework. But, despite the free writing, the essay must have an internal unity that expresses the author’s opinion.
Tips for writing an essay
Proper writing of the article is to understand the features of the genre. Observance of the fundamental principles and recommendations on writing allows creating an interesting composition.
Choose a topic
If there is no list of issues among which you can select one, and merely an overall meaning for the topic is provided, then you have to pay attention to the audience the essay is prepared for. You can choose multiple options: the teacher, the employer or the whole commission. If the essay is prepared for the teacher, it is obligatory to indicate what rubrics will be evaluated. After this ster, the theme should be selected in such a way that it would be clear to illustrate the abilities that the examiner from the author is waiting for: originality, the ability to logically construct sentences, literacy, professional qualities, etc.
When choosing the topic of writing an essay from the proposed list, you should select one in which you have chosen knowledge, considerations or just strong interest. If the essay is focused on the employer, it is desirable that both the topic and the content of the essay reflect the character of the author, his/her uniqueness, humanity and individuality.
How to start an essay
Sometimes, even a human, who has enough talent and skills to show his ideas in the composition, consider beginning the essay challenging. Consideration of the beginning may take a long time, which significantly complicates the process of creative work.
Therefore, there are several techniques with the help of which you can easily start writing.
- Before you begin preparing your essays, you need to think over an idea, determine the purpose and look for credible sources.
- Use the free writing essays template. The essence of it is to write down all the thoughts that come to mind without editing it and not following grammar, punctuation, style, etc. This is a great way to help cope with the creative crisis and find an extraordinary idea.
- One of the fairly common options is to write an essay, starting with a question, the answer to which is given at the end.
- Do not get hung up on the introductory part. The introduction can be written and after the central part is prepared. In this case, it is already clear what the essay is about. Therefore it is easier to write the introduction.
Structuring an essay
Regardless of where and to whom the article is intended, it is crucial that it has the correct structure and format. Typically, the essay consists of only five paragraphs, two of which are for introduction and conclusion and three sections for the main body.
In order to write the excellent essay, you need to think about expository essay outline, which will allow you to stay on topic. If you find it challenging to create an essay outline, use the template for writing essays. Templates for writing essays allow you to make sure that each item is in its place and detailed enough.
What does the structure of the essay consist of?
The order of writing an essay is usually reduced to three steps.
Like any written work, the paper contains an introduction. A well-written introduction makes the reader become interested and read the composition to the end. The introductory part may contain the formulation of the problem and its essence, rhetorical question, quotation, etc. It is essential to create a unique emotional mood and bring the reader to the problem under consideration.
- The main part
In the central part, we can give different points of view on the issue under consideration. Usually, this part has three paragraphs. Do not forget to fill out the paragraphs with information that would confirm your idea. It can be anecdotes, examples from your own experience, etc. The main thing is not to leave the topic and stick to the topic in all three paragraphs. Try not to use clericalism, archaisms or any other vocabulary that refers to the informal style; the article should sound serious, and be easy to read. This is already half the success.
All the conclusions drawn for each thesis presented in the main part are combined. The reader should arrive at a logical conclusion based on the arguments given.
In the end, the problem is repeated, and the conclusion is made, but do not add new information. Use only the information that was voiced in the main part of the paper.
If the goal of the introductory part is to interest the reader, then the purpose of the latest proposals is to add integrity to the overall picture, leave the work in the reader’s memory and push it to reflections.
After — carefully re-read, edit and boldly share your thoughts with the world.Writing Essays Template