- General Statement: about the topic. This should grab your reader’s attention.
- Overview of Main Points: ideas that you will discuss in further detail in the body of your essay.
- Thesis Statement: Should answer the What? Why? How? So What? (This is the “core” of your essay)
Body of Essay
- Claim (Argument)
- Evidence (Quotations, Paraphrases, Examples)
- Significance/Elaboration (The relationship between your claim and the evidence. The connection of the point to the thesis statement).
- Transition Sentence (Concludes your paragraph and point; can lead in to next point)
- Thesis Restated
- Summary of Main Points
Closing Sentence (a suggestion for the future, something memorable to leave for your reader, possible research questions for future analysis, a solution to the problem you raised)Essay Outline Template